FAS-T education consultants work with you to make sure your application is complete, submitted on time and accurately reflects your academic achievements and capabilities. Our service is free of charge when you apply at one of our affiliated schools. Once the application process is complete, FAS-T education consultants are readily available to assist you with the transition to life in Canada and at college.
Canadian colleges institutions are internationally recognized for their ability to provide an excellent educational foundation that results in a competitive advantage in the job market.

Canadian colleges offer programs including a one-to-three year Diploma, Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma. One million students attend college and university full time in Canada, and there are an additional 1.5 million part-time students.

Canadian colleges are known for small class sizes and intensive hands-on training in many fields that will equip students to participate in the global workforce.

Canadian schools have transfer agreements with many educational institutions internationally.

Canadian colleges have affordable tuition plans, and their short-term programs enable international students to join the workforce sooner. Should students choose to continue their education with a university degree, they will have the added benefit of work experience.

FAS-T Education Consulting has a detailed chart of the college-work visa-university process and the savings you can achieve.

Generally, financial assistance is limited for international students. There are some awards based on academic performance as well as bursary assistance. Since financial assistance isn’t guaranteed, we recommend that you carefully budget for your college expenses. Overall, a year at a Canadian college, including tuition ($12,000 for two semesters), living expenses (rent, food, clothing) and books, runs between $20,000 and $25,000. International students do not qualify for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) loans from the government of Canada.
Plan ahead; the admission process can be lengthy, especially for very competitive programs. Allow at least six to nine months for the process.

Take the TOEFL/IELTS tests before you begin the admission process. Canadian schools require international students to take these tests as proof of English language proficiency.

Demonstrated competency in English and Math are required for admission in most programs; depending on your field of study, you may need to complete specific courses with high marks before admission. Some schools will grant conditional acceptance that is dependent on you successfully passing required English tests.

Provide evidence of demonstrated leadership skills, a strong work ethic and community involvement. These may give you a competitive edge in being accepted into your desired program.

Make sure your college application is complete.

Obtain a valid passport and a Canadian visa.

Arrange for a place to live as soon as you are accepted by the college.

Have a copy of your acceptance letter, passport, visa and documentation of proof of funds ready forimmigration officials.

Get a study permit from immigration officials when you arrive at the airport in Canada.

Make sure you have two forms of government-issued ID, such as a passport and student ID. At least one needs to have your photo on it.

Set up a bank account near your residence. A representative from the International student services department can accompany you if you need help. Get a debit card for daily purchases; many banks offer cards designed for students. There are many large national banks in Toronto including TD Canada Trust, Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Montreal, Scotiabank and CIBC.

Explore transportation options. Toronto and nearby areas have an excellent public transportation system including the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission), GO Transit, and Mississauga Transit. Students can purchase transit passes from their college in advance of their arrival.

If you bring a cell phone, be sure it is GSM (Global System for Mobile communication). If you buy one in Canada, there are many plans with student discounts available. Companies offering cellular phone services include www.rogers.com, www.fido.ca,www.telus.ca and www.bell.ca

Report to International Student Admissions/Registration. Submit a photocopy of your study permit and provide your Canadian mailing address and telephone number.

Attend your college orientation. This briefing will help you adjust to the college environment and set up a schedule if you need to complete any admissions requirements.

Visit your college’s international support department. They are equipped to help you with orientation, getting a student ID and giving you information about health insurance, transportation and support in locating a residence (on-campus or off-campus housing). They can also help you choose appropriate courses for your field of study.

Students can work on campus in any department with budgeted funds and an offer of employment confirmation letter. This letter can be used to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Human Resource Canada (HRDC). Every person employed in Canada must have a valid SIN number to get paid. FAS-T Education Consulting can help you with this process.

The Canadian government has recently introduced an off-campus working program for Canadian international students. This program allows you to work off campus for 20 hours per week during school term and up to 40 hours per week during your summer (break) term. To be eligible, students must have good grades and have been in school for at least six of the last 12 months. This means that you won’t be able to work off campus for the first six months.

Yes, students can change their program immediately after arrival in Canada. Eligibility is dependent on the program availability and admission requirements. Students may be required to have prerequisites of their new program before they can begin classes. In some cases, students may have to apply through OCAS (Ontario Colleges Application Services) if college policies don’t allow for a direct application within Canada. There is an application fee required for OCAS.
International Students who have paid in full tuition fees and are taking a full time course load are automatically covered by the most comprehensive health care plan from the first day of class.

Students who are on vacation, not in class yet or on a leave of absence and are staying in Canada, must contact the International Student Center / Registration to arrange for health insurance coverage. FAS-T Education Consulting can provide more information on health insurance plans and organizations.

Tuition includes health insurance and incidental fees (athletic center, library services, student federation services, etc.). Estimates in the chart below are for two semesters (eight months). All costs are approximate.

Tuition fees (2 Semesters) $12,000 – $13,000

Living expenses (Food, Rental on/off Campus) $5,500 – $9,000

Books & Supplies $1,000 – $1,500

Clothing $1,000

Miscellaneous (entertainment, general supplies) $2,000

Bus / Transit $800 – $1000

Telephone (not including long distance) $500

Internet $450

Total Cost $23,250 – $27,450

“Feel free to contact FAS-T Education Consulting and we will assist you with your questions and application needs for Canadian schools” Click here

Share FAQ